Saturday, February 23, 2013

From Marissa: Accretion


Sometime in the past few years, I learned the word “accretion.”  I’ve latched onto it because, to me, it makes sense—this is how things happen, this is how we reach goals, this is how change is made possible.

Accretion means growth or increase through gradual accumulation, typically by layers.  In geology, layers of sediment collect and compile.  In astrophysics, massive objects grow through gravitationally attracting matter.  In finances, assets increase over time.  I imagine accretion as layering—with an end product like, say, lasagna.

To me, the experience of running is also metaphorically akin to accretion.  At the same time, it feels like the opposite.  The miles both add up and peel away.  They are something I carry with me, and something I drop away.  I think, and I don’t.  I move and, at once, am absolutely still.  (I’ve never run 31.07 miles before, but I hope it goes the same way!)

More importantly, this fundraiser—this movement to advance research of the lymphatic system to find better, more effective treatments and, ultimately, a cure—is a testament to the power of accretion.

Through the generosity of more than 37 individual donations, together we have already raised $6,000 for lymphedema research. 
How cool is that?

So while massive objects, orbiting in outer space, gaining mass and trailing gas across the galaxy, are beyond my mind’s comprehension, it is our collective efforts—from far and wide, from all walks of life, for the cause of finding out more about lymphedema, to improve the lives of a lot of people—that astound my heart.

To everyone who has already contributed to lymphatic research, thank you so much.  For others, if you would like to donate to research of the medical condition lymphedema, please visit our Donations Page.  




No comments:

Post a Comment