Thursday, March 14, 2013

From Marissa: Sprinting


I don’t like sprinting very much, and I’ve also never been very good at it. 

It makes me think of the taste of blood, wheezing and losing—none of which I like all that much. 
Perhaps that’s why I tend to prefer longer running events.  I get to set my own (slower) pace.  It’s about endurance and not rapid bursts.  And, if I can simply keep going, I’ll eventually make it to the finish.

This fundraiser, though, is teaching me to love both the sprint and the long-distance journey, metaphorically.  Together, we are going the distance and raising a large sum of money for the Lymphatic Research Foundation.  At the same time, we are full-on, full-throttle, heart-thumping, breath-gaspingly sprinting toward our financial goal of $10,000. 

In this instance—the instance of fundraising for lymphatic research—everyone who has supported this cause, who has given generously and deeply, who has reached out lovingly and perhaps unexpectedly, has shown me that sprinting is actually completely awesome. 

I have no doubt, we will sprint right through and past our goal.  Let’s appreciate that milestone, and then let’s keep going.

If you would like to support, it is never too late and nothing is too little. 
Our Donations page: http://lymphatic.donorpages.com/LRFFriendsandEvents/lymphedemarun/


"Runner" by Nathan Oliveira.

No comments:

Post a Comment